Thursday, April 23, 2015

Machismo

Growing up as a vegetarian I knew that I was different than of those who would eat meat, and now that I have read, " The Sexual Politics of Meat," I understand why those differences existed.

Throughout my life I was treated differently everywhere I went; wether I was at school, at a restaurant, or even at a friends house. One event I remember the most actually took place while I was at my friends house. We were sitting in his living room playing video games when his dad came in and asked if we were hungry. (His dad, I will have you know,  was one of those "Macho" Latinos that drank a tall can of Mexican imported beer and ate steak or " carne asada" everyday after very hard work. ) I asked what there was to eat and as soon as he said "carne asada," I kindly said no because I was a vegetarian. As soon as he heard that I was a vegetarian he turned to my friend and told him, " Son I didn't know you brought a girl over," and then walked away. I was stunned with those words, why would he call me a girl anyway?

But now that I have read the sexual politics of meat, I understand why he said what he said. He believed that true manhood came from the act of indulging in meat. This is because he thought that by eating meat, a man receives all the proteins and nutrients that help build a strong/manly/macho body. Eating meat was also symbolism to power over the household and a man should always possess that power. He said what he said because he thought I was rejecting manhood and masculinity in whole by being a vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment