Friday, April 24, 2015

Men and Meat




In section, we had read The Sexual Politics of Meat by Carol J. Adams. It was designed to draw parallels between our culture's attitude toward animals and its attitude and treatment of women as well. It shows eating meat as a type of oppression, specifically against women, as it is considered a "mans food".  I had found this picture, and I think it certainly shows these ideas that Adams had discussed. The women are behind sign a giant sign  that say this is for men only, as they stare at the food with want. Before the discussion in section, I never really thought about how advertisements and society gears meat toward males, but after its hard not to see it everywhere. It is certainly an interesting thought, and shows how women can be viewed as second class citizens. I think this read was a bit of an eye opener for me, and something I'll be thinking about for a while in the aspect of women and society.

No comments:

Post a Comment